In the early eighteenth century a black community grew up as the hub of the African-American culture in the region. It was a gathering place where a few people congregated in different places to set up camps for worshipping the Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
In 1861, the site started to get its presence known in the region as a church. The camp continued to be the focal point of the African-American community, well beyond the civil war.
The membership formed an organization under the guidance of two local preachers, Simon Harris and Newton Bacon. They thought it was time for the congregation to apply to the African Methodist Episcopal Conference for recognition as a church.
Having been recognized, some four years later, in 1864 as a church and a member of the African Methodist Episcopal Church they received its first name (Hutchinson Circuit). The members voted on the church’s name and it was Hutchinson Circuit where St Peter’s A.M.E. Church’s Memorial Gardens’ cemetery is currently located.
In 1879 members began to build its first permanent church building. It was a framed church that was built on the current site of St. Peter’s A.M.E. Church. Throughout the years many pastors have led the church into its great history.
In March 2005, Pastor Debbie Grant Neal was appointed our leader, becoming the first female to serve St. Peter’s A.M.E. Church.